Chocolate Malted CakeFrom michellem 7 years ago
- FOR THE CAKE: shopping list
- 6 ounces best-quality unsweetened chocolate shopping list
- 2/3 cup canola oil shopping list
- 2 & 2/3 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 & 2/3 cups AP flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened dutch cocoa shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- ¾ teaspoon of kosher salt shopping list
- 2/3 cup of sour cream shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 & 1/3 cups of hot fresh brewed coffee shopping list
- FOR THE chocolate MALTED FROSTING: shopping list
- 1 pound best quality milk chocolate shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup malted milk powder shopping list
- ¼ cup light corn syrup shopping list
- 8 tablespoons of butter, at room temp. shopping list
- 8 ounces of malted milk balls shopping list
- . shopping list
How to make it
- Position the rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Butter and flour two 9×2-inch cake rounds. Line each pan with parchment paper.
- 1. In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. When the chocolate is melted whisk in the oil until smooth. Remove from the heat and keep warm over the water.
- 2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- 3. In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and the sour cream smooth.
- 4. Add the egg mixture to the flour and mix until well combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the melted chocolate and mix well. Add the hot coffee in a steady stream until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl (the batter is thin).
- 5. Divide the batter evenly among the pans. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 25 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely on the wire racks.
- 1. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- 2. In a small saucepan over medium heat bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Whisk in the malted milk powder to combine. Pour over the chocolate. Do not stir. Wait five minutes, and then whisk chocolate until creamy. Stir in the corn syrup. Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the chocolate and let cool to room temperature.
- 3. When the chocolate is cooled, place it in the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter one tablespoon at a time and mix on low until smooth.
- 4. The icing is the filling and frosting for this cake. You can store the cake in the fridge.
- Decorate with the chopped malted milk balls
- Source: The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy
The Cookmichellem Idaho, ID
The Rating4 people
STOP!!!! Are you trying to torture me, Mich? Oh man, this sounds so good...I love malt powder - I love malted milk balls - I love anything with sugar in it!! When can I make this one????krumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
OH YEAH ..will be making this today....seeing how i am at home recovering.....GREAT POst
Got my 5grizzlybear in loved it
ya'll are gonna make me fat!! lol
yummyjett2whit in Union City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!