Pizza RusticaFrom lacrenshaw 4 years ago
- CRUST: shopping list
- 4 cups UNbleached all-purpose flour (I don't know why!) shopping list
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon zest shopping list
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream shopping list
- FILLING: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound hot Italians sausage, uncased and broken up shopping list
- 2 pounds whole milk ricotta cheese shopping list
- 4 large egg yolks and 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 8 ounces dry basket cheese OR mozzarella, diced into small cubes. shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 6 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced and cut in small pieces shopping list
- 6 ounces mortadella, thinly sliced and cut in small pieces shopping list
- 4 ounces sweet sopressata, thinly sliced and cut in small pieces shopping list
- 4 ounces hot sopressata, thinly sliced and cut in small pieces shopping list
- 6 ounces cappicola ham, thinly sliced and cut in small pieces shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flour and butter in food processor and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the eggs, sugar, pepper and lemon zest.
- Process until mixture turns into a smooth dough.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the cream and pulse until incorporated.
- The dough should be smooth and soft, but not sticky.
- You can "fix" dough by adding flour or cream depending on adjustment necessary. Use either SPARINGLY!
- Remove dough to lightly floured surface and form into a large disk.
- Wrap disk in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Position the rack on the bottom of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large heavy frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and saute until golden brown, breaking up as you go.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Mix well.
- Add all of the meats and stir to combine.
- **This step is best done with clean hands.
- Cut off 1/3 of the dough and set aside.
- Roll out the larger piece on a lightly floured board to a 16 to 17" round.
- Transfer dough to a 10" springform pan.
- Gently press the dough to fit.
- Trim dough overhang to 1".
- Save scraps for patching holes later!
- Spoon filling into the dough lined pan.
- Roll out remaining piece of dough into a 12" round.
- Place dough over filling.
- Pinch edges together to seal.
- Brush the egg white over the entire pastry top.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, about 1 1/2 hours OR until toothpick inserted into pie comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Let pie cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Release pan sides.
- Transfer pie to a platter.
- When cooled, cut into huge wedges and serve.
- **Go outside and run two miles wearing a weighted vest to counteract the assault on your arteries! (This was NOT my addition!)
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating6 people
Lorraine, Great recipe 5 for sure. I was just wondering, instead of running 2 miles in a weighted vest do you think I could just drink a glass of red wine and take a nap?bobbyc0117 in Canfield loved it
Oh my goodness - that picture is unbelievable! What a pizza PIE!! This is one for company...what a protein packed slice of pizza...thanks for sharing it - Krum
PS - I have to check out that website - love the name!krumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
I am drooling! Looks greatmidgelet in Eastern loved it