Fry Bread TacosFrom myszreesey 6 years ago
- 1 pound ground beef shopping list
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix shopping list
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans, with liquid shopping list
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese shopping list
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce shopping list
- 1/2 cup picante sauce shopping list
- FRY BREAD: shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 4 cups oil for frying, or as needed shopping list
How to make it
- Combine beans and 2 tablespoons of picante sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until heated through. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef with taco seasoning mix according to seasoning mix package directions. Cover, and keep warm while you prepare the fry bread.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, and mix until the dough comes together. Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough. On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep. Break off 3/4 cup sized pieces of dough, and shape into round discs 1/4 inch in thickness, making a thinner depressed area in the center. Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once. Drain on paper towels.
- Top fry bread with beans, ground beef, lettuce and cheese. Spoon picante sauce over. You can also top with other of your favorite taco toppings, such as onion, sour cream or guacamole.
The Cookmyszreesey Auburn, NY
The Rating4 people
Yum - I bet ground turkey would work just as good. Thanks for the dessert idea also. I love cinnamon.jett2whit in Union City loved it
These are wounderful!!! And like you said very versatile. Great post.dragonwings647 in Duchesne loved it