Missys Vegan Butternut SoupFrom themissiah 5 years ago
- 2 to 2 1/2 Pounds of butternut squash (approximately 1 medium squash) – seeded, peeled and cut into chunks shopping list
- 1 medium onion- chopped shopping list
- ¼ cup olive oil (or other favorite sautéing oil) shopping list
- 2-3 garlic cloves (depends on preference) shopping list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh (peeled) or jarred ginger shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1-teaspoon curry powder shopping list
- 3-½ cups vegetable broth shopping list
- 1-teaspoon sugar (granulated or brown) shopping list
- 1 ¼ cups soymilk or coconut milk shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the sautéing oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, continuously stirring.
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue to stir.
- Cook the mixture until onion is semi-clear (translucent) – about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add red pepper and bay leaves and cook for another minute.
- Stir in salt, squash, and curry powder; cook for about 5-6 more minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Add vegetable stock.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. After it has reached boiling, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Check the squash every few minutes to see if it is tender. After squash is tender, add the sugar and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the soy/coconut milk and continue to cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, and using a hand blender or an upright blender (let cool a bit if using an upright), puree mixture until it is smooth.
- Reheat, if cooled in last step, and serve. Serving suggestions below.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream or plain vegan yogurt. Sprinkle with chives or dried parsley.
- Variations: Although Butternut Squash makes this soup fairly rich, you can use Pumpkin, or any other squash, if preferred. Also, coconut milk will add richness to the soup if used.
The Cookthemissiah Ringgold, GA
The Rating5 people
Yum. I love butternut squash and just picked some up at the market last weeend. Going to put them to good use in this recipe. Great post and a high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
This sounds great! I love squash in any way, shape, form! You've got my five (:shandalulu in West Valley City loved it
The curry and coconut combined with ginger make this wonderful.
Five forks and a big smile :)trigger in loved it