Porcini Mushroom and Goat Cheese RisottoFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 1 cup dried porcini or other dried mushrooms (about 1 ounce) shopping list
- 3 cups hot water, more if needed shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock, more if needed shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 cups arborio rice shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 ounces mild goat cheese, such as Montrachet, crumbled shopping list
- Grated Parmesan, for serving shopping list
How to make it
- Put the dried mushrooms in a medium bowl and pour the hot water over them.
- Soak until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid, and chop them.
- Strain the liquid through a paper-towel-lined sieve into a medium saucepan.
- Add the broth to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- In a medium pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, the rice, and the salt and stir until the rice begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the simmering broth to the rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the broth has been completely absorbed.
- The rice and broth should bubble gently; adjust the heat as needed.
- Continue cooking the rice, adding broth 1/2 cup at a time and allowing the rice to absorb it before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- Cook the rice in this way until tender, 25 to 30 minutes in all.
- The broth that hasn't been absorbed should be thickened by the starch from the rice.
- You may not need to use all of the liquid, or you may need more broth or some water.
- Stir in the butter, pepper, and goat cheese.
- Serve the risotto with grated Parmesan.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating2 people
Comfort Foods770 members
Party Food316 members
Modern Entertaining72 members
Anything Goes286 members
Italian Group93 members
Television TV Famous Chefs67 members
Family Favorites140 members
Mad About Mushrooms94 members
101 A Cheese Place143 members