Onion ChutneyFrom aravi_vel 8 years ago
- Chopped Onion - 1/4 cup(Indian always use red onions) shopping list
- Veg oil - 1&1/2 tbsp shopping list
- Dried Red Chillies - 4 shopping list
- ginger - a small piece shopping list
- garlic - 4 cloves shopping list
- water - as req shopping list
- tamarind pulp from a gooseberry sized ball of tamarind shopping list
- curry leaves - a few shopping list
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp shopping list
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp shopping list
- salt - as needed shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the pan and saute onion till translucent.
- Add dried chillies, ginger, garlic and tamarind pulp. Don't fry more than 30 sec now.
- Add sufficient water and ground to a nearly fine paste.
- In a pan, heat 1/2 tbsp oil. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add curry leaves. (don't allow it to darken) Add this immediately to the ground paste.
- Chutney is ready to be served. Garnish with cilantro.
- (Chutneys cannot be eaten as such. There are certain Indian dishes like Idli, Dosa etc [which can be prepared in their respective pans] to which chutney can be used as side-dish)