Ancho Black Beans And RiceFrom bondc 6 years ago
- 4 anchos shopping list
- 3 c. chicken stock (approx) shopping list
- 1/2 t. ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 t. black pepper shopping list
- salt shopping list
- lard or oil shopping list
- 1 c. long-grain rice shopping list
- 1 15-oz can black beans shopping list
- 1 15-oz can chopped tomatoes, drained shopping list
How to make it
- Put the rice to soak in cold, salted water.
- Drain and rinse the black beans (get all the blue-black goo off).
- Cover anchos with boiling water, and soak for 30 minutes (use a saucer or bowl to keep them submerged).
- Drain the anchos. Stem, tear open, and get the veins and seeds out, then puree in a food processor with 1/2 c. stock.
- Heat 1 T. of lard in a sautee pan until very hot. Add the puree, cumin, and pepper. Turn the heat to medium low, and saute, stirring every few minutes, adding chicken stock as necessary to keep it from sticking, until dark, thick, and there is no trace of tannin left when you taste it.
- Drain the rice and rinse until the water runs clear.
- In another pan, heat 2 T. lard until hot. Add the rice, and stir to coat with oil. Add the ancho paste, mix well, then the tomatoes and 1 1/2 c. of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, and reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes. Mix in the black beans, cover again, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Salt to taste.