French Onion SoupFrom karlyn255 8 years ago
- 2 T. oil shopping list
- 3 T. butter shopping list
- 6 C. thinly sliced onions shopping list
- 1/2 t. sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 qts. beef broth shopping list
- 1/2 C. dry white wine shopping list
- sprig fresh thyme (optional) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 8 slices slightly stale French bread shopping list
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese or 2 cups grated shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a heavy 5-6 qt. pan. Add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onions and cook slowly, covered for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and salt. Cook onions slowly until onions caramelize and turn to a rich brown color. Do not let them burn! This will take 45-60 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook 5 minutes, still over low heat. Add the stock and check for seasoning. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- To serve:
- Toast the French bread slices until golden brown. Ladle the soup into a ovenproof bowl, add the toasted bread and cover with the cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cookkarlyn255 Ypsilanti, MI
The Rating7 people
love french onion soup... like the fact that your recipe slowly caramelizes the onions... it makes a big difference in the finished flavor of the soup... five forkspeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
A must have recipe this sound prefer and looks fantastic I prefer the addition of fresh thyme when I make it.
Five forks and a big smile :)trigger in loved it
My hubby and I were just talking about some FO soup.....perfect timing to find this one! I like extra provolone cheese melted on top!jett2whit in Union City loved it