Duck Reveillon CassouletFrom lacrenshaw 6 years ago
- 6 slices smoked bacon, chopped shopping list
- 6 (10 ounce) duck leg quarters, skinned shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided shopping list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided shopping list
- 1 cup yellow onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 7 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup celery, minced shopping list
- 1/2 cup carrot, minced shopping list
- 6 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 6 cups frozen black-eyed peas, thawed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped and divided shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped and divided shopping list
How to make it
- Cook bacon in large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in the pan.
- Set bacon aside.
- Increase heat to medium high.
- Sprinkle duck legs with half the salt and pepper.
- Add three legs to the drippings and cook 3 minutes per side until brown.
- Remove from pan and repeat with remaining duck legs.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining salt, pepper, mushrooms, celery and carrots.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 20 minutes OR until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broth, peas, half the thyme and half the parsley.
- Return duck to pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes OR until duck is tender.
- Stir occasionally, slightly mashing the peas with a fork or potato masher.
- Remove duck from pan and cool slightly.
- Remove meat from bones and shred.
- Discard bones.
- Return meat to pan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes OR until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining thyme and parsley.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating2 people
I love duck! This sounds yummy, I'll have to try it!juels in Clayton loved it
Oh, oh, oh... this is amazing. Am I allowed to give you 10 forks for this winner? I haven't had duck in quite some time and I know this will be a special and very enjoyable dinner for hubby and I ;)lor in Toronto loved it