Swiss Cheese CroquettesFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 4 Tbs (60 ml) butter shopping list
- 6 Tbs (90 ml) all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cream or half-and-half shopping list
- 1/2 lb (225 g) gruyere or good quality swiss cheese, shredded shopping list
- 3 egg yolks, beaten shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- flour for dredging shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbs (15 ml) water shopping list
- bread crumbs for dredging shopping list
- oil for frying shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over moderate heat and stir in the flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the milk and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolks, salt, and pepper.
- Pour into a well greased 6 x 9 inch (15 x 23 cm) pan and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the pan by dipping it in warm water and cut the custard into squares, or into shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Dredge lightly with flour, dip into the beaten egg, and then coat with bread crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
- Serves 4 to 6.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating5 people
I'm in love, midge! My thanks and my five, my friend.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
I agree with Lorraine, this is fantastic. Great post and a high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Petedagnabbit in Barrie loved it
Party Food316 members
Anything Goes286 members
Appetizers And Dips268 members
101 A Cheese Place144 members
Cheese Lovers101 members
Delicious Foods39 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
All Things Vegetarian65 members
Butter Is Better68 members
Anything Fried68 members