Cabbage TortaFrom bluewaterandsand 5 years ago
- .....pie dough..... shopping list
- 3 cups flour shopping list
- 6 large eggs shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbs. Crisco shopping list
- pinch salt and pepper shopping list
- .....Filling:.... shopping list
- 3 cups Shredded cabbage shopping list
- 1 large onion chopped shopping list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms shopping list
- basil, marjoram -- tarragon shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 ounces cream cheese shopping list
- 4 Hard boiled eggs -- sliced shopping list
- Fresh chopped dill or basil shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare pie dough. You can use this or a favorite rich pie dough.
- Some torta doughs contain a bit of wine in the dough and butter
- instead of Crisco. Combine dry ingredients.
- Cut in Crisco to form coarse crumbs. Beat eggs and stir in.
- Dough should be soft but pliable.
- Cover and chill while preparing filling.
- Saute shredded cabbage and onion and sliced mushrooms in a skillet with a bit of olive oil and cook and stir until cabbage is wilted and very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with basil, marjoram, tarragon and salt and pepper or as desired.
- Divide dough and roll out 1/2 on lightly floured surface to fit a 10 inch deep pie dish (could be spring form pan also).
- Spread bottom crust with the softened cream cheese.
- Layer on the sliced eggs . Add cooked and cooled cabbage filling.
- Cover with chopped dill or basil. Add top crust and crimp and seal edges.
- Slit top crust in several places to let steam escape.
- Brush with an egg glaze.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookbluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
The Rating5 people
I have never heard of anything like this before, I am half German, and this sounds really good to me. And I love old recipes, thanks for the post....:)gagagrits in Irmo loved it
Oh this sounds yummy got my 5aussie_meat_pie in My Kitchen loved it
This is so wonderful! The fresh herbs sound really good in there.mbeards2 in Omaha loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!