Irish Soda Bread from culinary institute of americaFrom peetabear 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400?F. Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it lightly with cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt together into a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the raisins, caraway seeds, and milk. Mix the dough until just combined; avoid over-mixing as this will cause the dough to toughen.
- Turn the dough into a lightly floured surface. Press the dough into a ball. Form the dough into two equal loaves, or cut into sixteen equal pieces to make rolls. Dust with flour and lightly score an "X" across the top of each roll or loaf with a sharp knife.
- Bake the soda bread until it is lightly browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, about eight to ten minutes for rolls and twenty-five minutes for loaves. Wrap the bread in a tea towel directly out of the oven.
- Cool the soda bread in the tea towel on a wire rack before serving. It can be held at room temperature for up to two days or frozen for up to four weeks.
People Who Like This Dish 5
- m2googee Tomball, TX
- henrie Savannah, GA
- conner909 Whereabouts, Unknown
- linebb956 La Feria, TX
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- cher3231 Denham Springs, LA
- joe1155 Munchen, DE
- dandelion Ashland, NE
- crazeecndn Edmonton, CA
- peetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating7 people
sounds wonderful to me i love this bread
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
This sounds really good, but I've only had this not sweet. Is that unusual?joe1155 in Munchen loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!