Elaines Whole Wheat Bread --- PlusFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- 3 cups white or unbleached best-for-bread flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1 cup dark rye flour shopping list
- 1 cup ground, roasted sunflower seeds shopping list
- 1/4 cup ground, roasted pistachio nuts shopping list
- 3/4 cup sesame seeds (for coating unbaked loaves) shopping list
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds (for coating unbaked loaves) shopping list
- 1 tbsp salt (considering this makes 4 loaves, the amount of salt is negligible) shopping list
- 1/4 cup white sugar shopping list
- 1 pkg traditional bakers' yeast + i tsp sugar to activate shopping list
- 1/2 cup warm water (for yeast) shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup canola oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tsp white sugar.
- mix ALL dry ingredients
- after yeast has worked,add it to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- add the water --- Mix well.
- add the eggs --- Mix well.
- add buttermilk --- Mix well.
- add oil --- Mix well.
- allow dough to rest for 10 minutes, then:
- KNEAD well for at least 10 minutes, or until the dough is shiny, smooth, and blistered.
- Because this is a more dense dough, it requires thorough kneading to allow for proper proofing
- proof in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- punch dough down,
- knead again a few minutes, then:
- for the four loaves.
- place loaves in greased and floured loaf pans.
- allow to proof again until doubled in :bulk, then
- Brush liberally with melted creamery butter
- Sprinkle with the sesame and poppy seeds
- Bake at 350*F for the first 20 min, then:
- INCREASE HEAT to 375*F to finish...
- Bake until the loaves are golden brown, and they sound hollow when tapped with the fingers.
- Remove immediately from the pans and cool on wire rack, turning often to prevent shaping deformities.
- This bread is wonderful for eating 'as is', or for making delicious sandwiches.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating10 people
I can tell simply by looking at your ingredients and method that this recipe is wonderful.
You made this up yourself, did you?
You get my five, and TEN if I could double-rate.
Thank you fo...morechefperiwinkle in Scarboro loved it
Sounds delish Chef! Thank you so much.gapeach55 in Covington loved it
This does sound wholesome and delicious! I love all the nuts here!juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!