Irish Soda BreadFrom lacrenshaw 6 years ago
- 4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 4 tablespoons white sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened (I would use butter) shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter, melted shopping list
- 1/4 cup buttermilk shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine.
- Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and the egg.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly.
- Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk.
- Brush loaf with the mixture.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an X into the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- **In the recipe there is a comma after the word clean (above) which then reads about 30 to 50 minutes. I've no clue what that means. You have been forewarned!
- You may continue to brush the bread with the butter mixture during baking.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating4 people
I love baking bread. I do it the old fashion way. Thanks for the recipe. sure will make this.sunflower48386 in White Lake loved it
This is what I've been looking for - no raisins, and no caraway seeds! Was planning on making this for St. Pat's, as my mother in law loves it; just waiting to find the perfect recipe. I believe this is it! High 5, and a big thank you!
Debdebbie919 in Manahawkin loved it
oh cool ! saving this for my daughters to bake for st. oatricks day ! thanks !queenmidge in Anderson loved it