Very Old Fashioned White CakeFrom midgelet 7 years ago
How to make it
- Cream three-quarters cup of butter and one and one-quarter cups of sugar very well.
- Stop stirring, pour one-half cup of cold water on top of butter mixture and whites of eight eggs slightly beaten on top of water; do not stir, add one teaspoon of vanilla.
- Sift two and one-half cups of pastry flour, measure, then mix with two heaping teaspoons of baking-powder, and sift three times.
- Add to cake mixture and then beat hard until very smooth.
- Turn into ungreased angel cake pan, place in slow oven. -300F
- Let cake rise to top of pan, then increase heat ( 350F ) and bake until firm.
- Invert pan, when cool cut out.