Italian Peasant Soup With Cabbage Beans And CheeseFrom quaziefly 5 years ago
- 1 lbs cannellini beans, soaked overnight, cooked until tender then rinsed, divided shopping list
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced shopping list
- 4 cups shredded savoy cabbage (1/2 medium head) shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus 1 clove garlic, halved shopping list
- 3 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices day-old whole-wheat country bread shopping list
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- After beans are cooked and tender, mash 1 1/2 cups beans with a fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cabbage and minced garlic; cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, mashed beans and whole beans; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Shortly before the soup is ready, toast bread lightly and rub with the cut side of the garlic clove (lightly or heavily depending on taste). Divide toast among 8 soup plates. Ladle soup over the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon oil over each serving. Serve immediately.
The Cookquaziefly ALL POINTS
The Rating6 people
Sounds yummy!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
what a wonderful bowl of comfort food... five forkspeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Love it...:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!