Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot PieFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 1 large chicken cup up in serving portions- ( remove excess fat and skin ) shopping list
- 4 to 5 large peeled potatoes quartered shopping list
- 3 large onions quartered shopping list
- 3 large carrots cut in chunks shopping list
- salt and pepper, minced fresh parsley shopping list
- butter or margarine as desired shopping list
- 2 cups of water or chicken broth shopping list
- Pot Pie noodle Dough:( or use your own recipe ) shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 Tbs shortening melted shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup cream shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 3 to 4 cups flour or enough shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
How to make it
- Make pot pie dough first: beat eggs, cream, milk, salt, baking soda and shortening.
- Gradually stir in and add enough flour to make a stiff pliable dough to roll.
- Roll out very thin as for noodles on a floured board .
- You'll have more than enough dough and may wish to save/freeze part for another recipe.
- Place pieces of dough in bottom of a oven proof cooking kettle or pot .( I cut dough into large squares ).
- Dot dough with some butter or margarine.
- Add some of the potatoes, onions, carrots, chicken and layer again alternating with some more pieces of the pot pie dough squares and ending with the potatoes.
- Do not end with dough since dough may become too dry when placed on top.
- You can get three chicken layers in a large Dutch oven.
- Be sure to season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, paprika etc.
- Add a bay leaf or two to the ingredients and some garlic cloves if you wish.
- Lastly, pour over 2 cups water or chicken stock.
- Sprinkle again with salt, pepper and minced parsley to taste.
- Dot with butter or margarine if desired.
- Cook covered tightly with foil in a 325-350 F oven about 2 to 3 hours or until every thing is tender.
- You may want to place a drip pan under the kettle or pot since some juices may bubble up if not tightly sealed.
- To serve,scoop out pieces of the chicken, vegetables, noodle squares and broth into a bowl.
People Who Like This Dish 12
- huxter Mundoona, Australia
- puddlewonderful Beverly Hills Adjacent, CA
- txgreg Dallas, TX
- momo_55grandma Mountianview, AR
- chefmeow Garland, TX
- quaziefly ALL POINTS
- krystynainsydney Bondi Junction, AU
- beaconzbard Heavener, OK
- swanmitch Andover, MN
- dandelion Ashland, NE
- Plus 2 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating11 people
Yum, you have another great winner here my friend. 5 all the way.chefmeow in Garland loved it
GREAT RECIPE!I'M 1/4 PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH!!
NOODLES AND CRUST - YOU CAN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT!!!
CAROLleebear in Brookpark loved it
love this chicken pot pie yummie high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Food Styling And Photography254 members
Comfort Foods772 members
Winter Dishes56 members
Dutch Oven30 members
Chicken Its Whats For DInner121 members
Chicken Please145 members
Pa Dutch14 members
Farm Country Cooking84 members
Delicious Foods39 members
Cookin With Chicken65 members