Sichuan Beef JerkyFrom syrus 9 years ago
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak shopping list
- 1 large Naval orange (Any will do, avoid tangerine) shopping list
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 T ginger, minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 c soy sauce shopping list
- 1/4 c Sriracha shopping list
- Rig: shopping list
- 1 20X20 box fan shopping list
- up to 4 furnace filters shopping list
- 2 bungee cords shopping list
How to make it
- Freeze the whole flank steak for about 2 hours, until firm but not completely frozen.
- By freezing the steak it will make for much easier and even cutting.
- Cut the steak, with the grain, into about 1/8 of an inch thick strips. (The thicker the pieces the longer the drying time, too thin and the texture will be off)
- In a large zip-top bag add soy sauce, garlic, sriracha, and ginger.
- Cut the zest from 1/3 of the orange and mince fine.
- Juice the orange and add zest and juice to mixture.
- Mix marinade together.
- Add strips of beef, seal bag, and mix well to coat.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours, mixing bag every hour, no less!
- Line a large sheet tray with paper towels and remove each strip from bag laying out on towels.
- Cover opposing side with more paper towels and press to remove excess liquids.
- Lay the strips into the grooves of the filters. Be sure to leave one empty for covering purposes.
- Stack the filters on to the fan, be sure they are horizontal or the beef will fall.
- Strap them to the fan with the bungee cords.
- Plug in and leave on high for 8-12 hours.
- Depending on the fan power, filter strength, and size of beef, check beef starting at 6 hours.
- When the beef reaches a dry, yet semi oily texture it should be ready.
- If left in for too long it will dry out and turn to leather.
- Check for taste and texture, don't be afraid of eating a piece, the high salt removes the hazard.
- Once dried avoid bags for storage, moisture will build up and reconstitute the jerky.
- Try Tupperware or jars.
- This jerky will last forever if properly stored.
- Enjoy and have fun!
The Cooksyrus Boston, MA
- Not added to any groups yet!