Cornmeal Biscuits with Cheddar and ChipotleFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 3/4 cup (packed) chopped green onions shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated yellow extra-sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 3/4 cup (about) buttermilk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon whipping cream (for glaze) shopping list
How to make it
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 425°F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and sauté 2 minutes to soften slightly. Remove from heat.
- Blend flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in processor. Add 1/2 cup chilled butter; cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese; cut in using on/off turns. Transfer flour mixture to large bowl. Whisk 1 egg in glass measuring cup. Add enough buttermilk to egg to measure 1 cup; stir in green-onion mixture and chipotles. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Pour buttermilk mixture into well; mix just until evenly moistened.
- Turn dough out onto generously floured surface. Knead gently just until dough holds together, about 10 turns. Pat out on generously floured surface to 3/4-inch-thick round. Using 3-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Gather dough scraps; pat out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut out additional biscuits. Brush biscuits with egg glaze.
- Bake biscuits until golden, tester inserted into center comes out clean, and biscuits feel firm, about 18 minutes. Cool on rack 5 minutes. Serve warm.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating4 people
My printer is getting over heated from printing all your good recipes today. Geez take a breather. I have to sort and file all these.lasaf in St. Paul loved it
Mmmmm, gotta try this with my new superduper gf ap flour! Yum, Peeta!crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!