Chinese Crispy DuckFrom sitbynellie 6 years ago
- 1 whole duck shopping list
- 6 shallots, chopped shopping list
- 1 litre chicken stock shopping list
- 500ml dark soy sauce shopping list
- 400ml chinese rice wine shopping list
- 3 tablespoons honey shopping list
- 4 whole star anise or 2 teaspoons ground anise shopping list
- 1 strip orange peel - avoid the white pith. shopping list
- Some vegetable oil shopping list
- Shredded spring onion shopping list
- Boiled rice shopping list
How to make it
- Trim the duck of excess fat, including those hideous lumps inside the vent. I usually cut the parson's nose and the neck skin off as well but all this is optional. Remember to take out the giblets if they are packed inside the duck! I have been known to forget this.
- Place the duck, bottom upwards, in a colander in the sink.
- Pour a kettleful of boiling water over the bird, inside and out.
- Allow to drain well.
- Into an oval baking dish or casserole, put the shallots, stock, soy sauce, rice wine, honey, anise and orange peel.
- Bring to the boil, stirring the while.
- Place the duck in the dish breast down. The liquid should just about cover the bird.
- Cover and cook gently for about an hour and a half, turning the bird over for the last 20 minutes.
- Let it cool a bit and lift out the duck and drain it.
- Remove the peel and the whole anise if using.
- Leave the duck in a cool place - the bird must dry out overnight.
- Refrigerate the gravy once cold. Skim off the excess fat.
- When you are going to eat it, preheat the oven to Gas 6/200C/400F.
- Rub the duck all over with some vegetable oil.
- Set it in a roasting tray and roast for 30-40 minutes until deep brown and crispy.
- Pull the meat off with forks and serve with the onions, plain boiled white rice and the reheated gravy.
The Cooksitbynellie Glasgow, GB
The Rating6 people
This recipe sounds absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to get to the store for a duck & try it. Thanks so much for sharing this & 5 forksbrianna in loved it
I love duck and this is a super recipe. Thanks 5, saved and flagged.victoriaregina in USA loved it