Galaktoboureko- Greek Custard CakeFrom wrigggit 5 years ago
- 5 cups milk shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 3/4 cup caster sugar shopping list
- 1 cup semolina shopping list
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 100g unsalted butter shopping list
- 8 sheets filo pastry shopping list
- thick Greek yoghurt (or cream) to serve shopping list
- lemon syrup shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar shopping list
- 1 large lemon, finely shredded rind and juiced shopping list
How to make it
- Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edge of the saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an electric beater, beat eggs and sugar until pale and thick.
- Gradually stir in milk and add semolina in a steady stream.
- Stir constantly, over a med-low heat for 15-20 mins (yes- that's right!!!) or until mixture thickens (hopefully that'll be quicker....)
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind, vanilla and 40g butter. Stir until butter has melted. Cover surface with baking paper and cool.
- Preheat oven to 200degC. Lightly grease a 20cm round cake pan.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan. Place a sheet of filo onto a flat surface and brush with butter. Repeat 3 times.
- Line cake tin with filo stack, leaving ends to overhang.
- Repeat layering with remaining pastry, and place second stack over the top of the first layer at a 90 degree angle, so that most of the pan has pastry overhanging it.
- Spoon cold custard into filo shell. Fold overhanging filo over custrad, and brush with butter.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Turn onto lined tray and remove cake pan.
- Bake for a further 15 mins until golden. Cool.
- Serve drizzled with lemon syrup and thick yoghurt.
- To make syrup, place sugar, 3/4 cup water, 1.3 cup lemon juice and lemon rind in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 mins.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
The Cookwrigggit Perth, Australia
The Rating5 people
This sounds delish! Thanks for sharing.californiacook in loved it
wow fantastic dish high5 thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
this is a great dessert..thank you for the post..five forkspeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!