Cheese and Onion PieFrom astrochef 5 years ago
- 2, tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2, large onions, chopped shopping list
- 6, ounces grated cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1, tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 1, teaspoon prepared English mustard shopping list
- 2, teaspoons worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 2, eggs, beaten separately shopping list
- 2 good pinches of salt and pepper shopping list
- 2, sheets puff pastry shopping list
How to make it
- Line an oven tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the onions over medium heat for 5- 7 minutes, or until golden and soft.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes, before adding the cheese, parsley, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well, then add 1 beaten egg to the bowl, with salt and pepper to your taste, and mix well again.
- Using a cake pan or dinner plate as a guide, cut each sheet of pastry into a 9 inch (23 cm) circle.
- Lay one sheet of pastry on the prepared baking tray.
- Place a large spoonful of the cheese mixture over the pastry base, piling it higher in the middle, and leave a narrow border around the edge.
- Lightly brush the border with some of the second beaten egg.
- Place the remaining sheet of pastry over the filling, stretching lightly if necessary to neatly fit the bottom sheet.
- Press and seal the edges well.
- Brush the top with the remaining beaten egg, and cut two slits in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, before reducing the heat to 350F (180C).
- Cook a further 20-25 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden brown.