Savory German Rye Bread RecipeFrom peetabear 7 years ago
- 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup cocoa shopping list
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast shopping list
- 12 oz can of dark beer shopping list
- 2/3 cup milk shopping list
- 1/3 cup molasses shopping list
- 1/4 cup oil shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained shopping list
- 3 cup light rye flour shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl combine the white flour, cocoa, caraway seeds, salt and yeast. Mix together.
- In a sauce pan pour in beer, milk, molasses and oil; heat to 110F. Pour the liquid into the flour mixture add in egg. Mix for 3 minutes. Add in sauerkraut and enough rye flour to create a stiff dough. Knead for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide into two loaves. Shape into round loaves and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 F. Bake for 25 - 35 minutes. Cool
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating5 people
I love rye bread but I've never made it. This sounds like a great recipe to start. Thanks & 5 forksbrianna in loved it
Sounds very very good, love a good German Rye Bread with seeds. Great post, thanks you so much for sharing, printing it out to make soon. You have my 5 forks also. Have a great weekend.henrie in Savannah loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!