Home Corned BeefFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- For every gallon of water, you will need shopping list
- 1 5-6 lb. beef brisket shopping list
- 2 cups kosher salt shopping list
- 2 cups dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 4 tsp. saltpeter (available in most drugstores as sodium nitrate) shopping list
- 2 tsp. allspice, optional shopping list
- 1-2 cloves garlic, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Mix the ingredients with 1 quart of water and when blended and dissolved, add the remainder of the gallon of water.
- Wipe the brisket with a damp cloth and pierce deeply with a heavy fork several times. Place the brisket in a glass, porcelain or earthenware container (never metal), and add brine mixture until the meat is immersed and brine level is about 1-1/2 inches above the meat.
- Cover container with a board weighted in place. Store in the refrigerator 8-12 days. The beef will become saltier the longer it is soaked.
- When ready to cook beef, discard the brine. Rinse the beef in cold water, place in a kettle of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 1 hour. Pour off water, add fresh boiling water to cover. Simmer until tender, 4 to 4-1/2 hours. Slice against grain.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!