Butt BaconFrom jsummers 4 years ago
How to make it
- To make this product, first de-bone the butt.
- Take the fat side and cut about a 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick slab.
- Square this miniature slab up nice and dry rub it with 1/2 oz of Golden Brown Sugar Cure per pound of raw slab meat.
- Distribute the cure evenly on the slab, place the slab into the ziploc bag and seal the bag, removing as much air as possible.
- Put the bag in a 38-40 deg cooler or the fridge is fine.
- The salt and sugar will extract moisture from the meat. Do not drain it. After 24 hours flip the bag over and let it set for another 24 hours then flip it back over for the final 24 hours.
- Take the slab out of the bag and rinse it lightly. Then hang in the cooler to surface dry for a day or so.
- Hang in the smokehouse and smoke for from 2-4 hours or whatever your taste prefers. Keep the house temperature low. I prefer not to exceed 120 deg. when doing bacons of any kind. When finished smoking I like to let the bacon hang in the cooler for another 4-5 days before slicing. This period allows the flavor to develop and lets the slab dry further giving a stiffer, easier to slice slab.
- Slice, fry, or prepare however you like your bacon and enjoy!
- For a more detailed description visit "The Meating Room" located at www.butchersupply.net/forum
- Golden Brown Sugar Cure can be found at www.butchersupply.net
The Cookjsummers Lamar, IN
The Rating5 people
Very cool! your right about the meat cutting, sausage makin' etc., It just dont get old!
I'll be all over this like rats on a cheeto! 5! Dooleydooley in Krum loved it
I love the sound of this bacon. All I have for a smoker is a 'Little Chief'. Could I be successful using it to make this? Maybe you could give me some tips if it is possible. Sure appreciate it. Thanks & 5 forksbrianna in loved it