Spinach Empanadas - Diabetic FriendlyFrom spinach1948 5 years ago
- Pastry: shopping list
- 2 ( 8oz ) packages light cream cheese softened shopping list
- ¾ cup margarine or butter softened shopping list
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- ½ tsp. salt shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled ( reserve 1 Tbs. bacon drippings ) shopping list
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained shopping list
- 1 8oz container cottage cheese ( 1 cup ) shopping list
- ¼ tsp. pepper shopping list
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 egg beaten shopping list
How to make it
- 1 )To make the pastry: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and margarine with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in flour and alt. Knead the dough lightly by hand. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- 2 ) To make filling: In a medium skillet, cook the onion and garlic in the reserved bacon drippings for 4 minutes or until the onion is tender but not brown. Stir in the crumbled bacon, the spinach, cottage cheese, pepper and nutmeg. Let the mixture cool.
- 3 ) Preheat oven to 450º.
- 4 ) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry until it is 1/8 inch thick. Using a 3 inch biscuit cutter, cut out as many pastry circles as possible. Place 1 tsp. Of filling on half of each pastry circle. Moisten the edges of the circle with egg and fold the other half of the circle over the filling.
- 5 ) Place the pastries on ungreased baking sheets. Gently seal the edges of the empanadas with the tines of a fork. Brush the empanadas with egg. Use the tines of a fork to prick small vent holes in each. Bake in the 450º oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the empanadas are golden.
- Ready to serve with salsa.
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating4 people
beautiful presentation delicous recipe thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
These sound awesome. Will definately be making these. Great post. Thanks and a 5 to you.rosiek in Waterloo loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!