Scalloped ChickenFrom bondc 9 years ago
- 3 c. chicken stock shopping list
- 2 chicken breasts, 1/2 chicken, or 3 c. chopped cooked chicken shopping list
- 2 T. each: oil and flour shopping list
- 1/2 T. rubbed sage shopping list
- 1/2 t. each: salt, pepper, dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 c. each: parmagiano, dried bread crumbs shopping list
- 4 T. cold butter, cut into bits shopping list
- spanish paprika shopping list
- 1 recipe noodles (noodles.html">Egg noodles) shopping list
How to make it
- First, make the noodles (Egg Noodles).
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Poach the chicken in the stock until barely done and reserve chicken (if you're using cooked chicken, you can skip this step). When chicken is cool enough to handle, bone and chop.
- Bring the stock to a boil, add the noodles, cover tightly and simmer until the noodles are done, about fifteen minutes. Remove noodles and measure the stock. If you have more than two cups, reduce it over high heat until you get two cups. Reserve.
- Rinse and dry the pan, then place over medium heat. Add the oil, and when the oil is hot, the flour, and stir until smooth. Add the seasonings and the stock, and stir constantly until thick. Add the chicken and the noodles and pour into a buttered baking dish. Mix the cheese and crumbs and sprinkle over the top. Dot with the butter, and sprinkle with paprika (this helps give a lovely brown color). Bake until bubbly and the top is brown, about 30 minutes.
- You can do anything you want to this recipe, which is probably part of the reason there are so many versions of it. You can add asparagus. You can add mushrooms. You can add slivered almonds. You can add roasted red peppers or pimentos. Instead of using all stock, you can use part white wine, sherry, cream, use your imagination. You can change the seasonings. Be creative.