Veal PaprikasFrom bondc 7 years ago
- 1 lb. stew veal in 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 T. bacon grease, lard or oil shopping list
- 2 T. Hungarian paprika (Spanish has comparatively no flavor) shopping list
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 10 mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 2 T. each: heavy cream and sour cream shopping list
- 1 t. flour shopping list
- 1 recipe noodles (noodles.html">Egg noodles) or spaetzle (http://bondcrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/07/sptzle.html) shopping list
How to make it
- If using noodles, make them first (spaetzle are so fast and easy you can whip them up while the veal is cooking).
- Saute the onions over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook another five minutes.
- Stir in paprika, veal, and tomatoes. Add about 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook over low heat for an hour, until the veal is tender.
- Add the bell pepper and mushrooms, stir, cover again and cook for 15 minutes, until the peppers are softened.
- Mix heavy cream, sour cream and flour, then stir into the paprikas. Cook a minute, just to get the "flour" taste out, and serve.