Bergos Polish Hunters StewFrom bondc 7 years ago
- 4 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed shopping list
- 1 c. apple cider shopping list
- 1 lb smoked pork butt shopping list
- 1 lb spareribs shopping list
- 1/4 lb bacon shopping list
- 1 #2 1/2 can tomatoes shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- black pepper shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 4 lbs heads of cabbage, shredded shopping list
- 1 lb pork loin chops or country-style pork ribs shopping list
- 1 lb smoked kielbasa, cut into chunks shopping list
- 1/2 c. onions (chopped) shopping list
- 16 oz. fresh mushrooms shopping list
- 2 T. flour shopping list
How to make it
- Brown pork chops and ribs in 2 T. oil in a large pot.
- Add the smoked pork butt with 1 c. water and simmer over low heat for an hour.
- Add the kraut and 1 c. of the cider. Add the cabbage, salt and pepper, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover (but don't turn off the heat).
- In another pan, cook the bacon, remove and crumble the bacon, then add the bacon to the stew.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms until transparent, then add the flour and continue to cook until just golden brown. Add to the stew.
- Add the kielbasa and tomatoes and simmer for a half hour.
The Cookbondc State College, PA
The Rating1 people
Absolutely one of the best dishes ever. You have nailed it. My dad asks for this every Christmas Eve. And it is my pleasure to make it for him. Yours looks better than mine, Dad will be pleasantly pleased this year.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it