Sweet and Spicy Black Bean SoupFrom chefcarolyn 6 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium-size red onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 8 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 3 cans black beans, drained shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies shopping list
- 4 cups vegetable stock, 2 cups water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice shopping list
- 3 T honey shopping list
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 T red wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt, sour cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomatoes shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and both bell peppers and sauté until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; stir 1 minute. Transfer mixture to 6-quart saucepan. Add beans and chipotles, then 6 cups liquid. Cover and cook on high 30 – 45 minutes. Transfer 3 cups bean mixture to blender (or use an immersion blender to puree some of the beans in the pot); puree until smooth. Return puree to remaining. Stir in lime juice, honey, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon dollop of yogurt into each bowl. Sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro and serve.
- *Chipotle chiles canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets and many supermarkets.
- Don't leave out the vinegar as it gives a brightness to the soup that really livens it up. Substitute lemon or lime juice if desired.
The Cookchefcarolyn Oklahoma City, OK
The Rating5 people
I'm going to make this for lunch today because it is one of those first really cold fall days and promises lots of winter weather to come. This sounds like a great warming up soup for a cold Sunday afternoon. Thanks!mbelisle in Regina loved it
The soup was great! We will definitely make that again at our house. Thanks so much.mbelisle in Regina loved it
thanks for sharing a great recipe
choclytcandy in loved it