chicken in white sauce with herb dumplingsFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 1 3 lb chicken or 3 lb chicken breast with bone in shopping list
- ( bones give the broth some flavor ) shopping list
- 1 /2 bunch celery sliced shopping list
- 1/2 lb carrots cut thick sliced shopping list
- 2 large onions coarse sliced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic chopped shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 cup of frozen green peas shopping list
- 1 cup of sauteed mushrooms or reconstituted dried shopping list
- Or use a small can of drained mushrooms if desired shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter, margarine or equivalent in olive oil shopping list
- reserved chicken broth shopping list
- herb Dumplings: shopping list
- 2 cups biscuit mix shopping list
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1 tsp dried parsley shopping list
- 1 tsp celery seed shopping list
- 3/4 cup milk or reserved chicken broth shopping list
How to make it
- In a pot place chicken ( skin and excess fat removed ) , vegetables ( expect mushrooms and peas ), and water with bay leaf , salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cover and simmer until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Drain liquid and reserve chicken and vegetables.
- Meanwhile make sauce. In a saucepot melt fat of choice and stir in flour and cook and stir ( use whisk ) until flour becomes paste like.
- Cook and stir constantly for a few minutes.
- Gradually ladle in reserved broth and whisk constantly until mixture thickens, adding more broth gradually ( you may not use all ) until mixture is a medium thick consistency and comes to a bubble.
- One may add a bit of half and half to the sauce if desired or even a bit of cooking sherry to taste.
- Cook and stir a few minutes longer and remove from heat.
- Cut or dice up chicken and place in a pot with reserved vegetables, peas and mushrooms.
- Add white sauce and mix well.
- Return to heat to a gentle simmer. Make dumplings: combine all ingredients with a fork into a soft dough and drop from heaping spoonfuls into chicken mixture.
- Cover pot and cook at a gentle bubble for 20 minutes.
- Dumplings will firm up and absorb some of the sauce.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle on a bit more parsley and a dash of paprika if desired.
- Serves 4 to 6.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating8 people
Nice kick to a true southern comfort food. ^5
Jeffhot_it_up in Columbiana loved it
Very nice. I usually add a bit of dill and chicken base to my dumpling mix to pump up the flavor. This is comfort food at its finest.
notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
comfort recipe at it's best!chichimonkeyface in Albany loved it
Food Styling And Photography254 members
Comfort Foods773 members
Family Favorites141 members
Companys Coming115 members
Chicken Its Whats For DInner121 members
Chicken Please145 members
Delicious Foods39 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Chicken Little167 members
Meals Fit For A Princess2 members