Stoplight Stuffed PeppersFrom pointsevenout 6 years ago
- 4 green bell peppers shopping list
- 4 red tomatoes shopping list
- ¼ cup butter shopping list
- 1 medium onion, halved then vertically thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced shopping list
- 3 ounce portabella mushrooms (one large head), small cubed shopping list
- 4 (16 to 20) count shrimp, or larger, peeled, deveined, and tailed shopping list
- ¼ cup flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon turmeric shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- juice from 2 oranges and grated rind shopping list
- ¼ cup Small shredded Parmesan shopping list
- 2 ounces Large shredded sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Buy 4 large blocky peppers with squared out bottoms. Buy tomatoes that will just fit inside each pepper.
- In a stock pot blanch peppers for 10 minutes in boiling water and transfer to an ice bath. You will have to use something like a heavy sauce pot to place on top of the peppers to keep them submerged while boiling. When cool enough to handle, cut the tops off removing seed and membrane. Place them top down in an 8x8 Pyrex baking dish to drain.
- Cut a small “x” at the bottom of the tomatoes and blanch until the skin starts peeling back; about 45 seconds. Transfer to an ice bath. When cool enough to handle, skin tomatoes. Cut the tops off removing pulp and seeds, leaving a hollow shell. Lightly salt tomatoes and turn them top down to drain.
- Over a medium heat sauté onion in butter until it wilts. Add garlic; continue to sauté until translucent. Add mushrooms; continue to sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Add shrimp; sauté for 2 minutes per side until just pink.
- While shrimp is cooking assemble peppers right side up and slide tomatoes into peppers right side up and place in the Pyrex dish. When shrimp are just pink place one shrimp in the bottom of each tomato.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blend flour and turmeric.
- Stir flour mix into sauté mix.
- Stir in orange juice and rind until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in milk and simmer until it is heavily thick. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff peppers with mushroom mix.
- Top with Parmesan divided between peppers then top with cheddar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
The Cookpointsevenout Athens, AL
The Rating4 people
These sound fantastic! High 5! Great pics too!justjakesmom in Everett loved it
Yum! High % here too!pleclare in Framingham loved it
Super!pleclare in Framingham loved it