Southern Cornbread DressingFrom hot_it_up 7 years ago
- 1 skillet of cornbread shopping list
- 1/2 sleeve saltine crackers shopping list
- 8 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 cups chopped celery shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 6 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 teaspoon sage shopping list
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning shopping list
- 5 eggs, beaten shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture. Add the stock, mix well, taste, and add salt, pepper to taste, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Pour mixture into a greased pan and bake until dressing is cooked through, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Just in case you don't know how to make a skillet of cornbread.
- preheat oven to 375 and place a 10" Iron skillet on medium heat to get hot
- mix together
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- pour into hot skillet and place into oven, remember skillet is hot so put on the mitt. Having the skillet hot first, gives the bread a crispy crust and helps prevent sticking. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. You can check with a tooth pick just like a cake.
The Cookhot_it_up Columbiana, AL
The Rating5 people
Sage is what makes a great stuffing. I've never seen saltines in a stuffing recipe before.joe1155 in Munchen loved it
This sounds fantastic and I'm with you, ridges on my cranberry sauce. Greatness. High 5 my friend.chefmeow in Garland loved it
This looks just like my momma's cornbread dressing. Great post.m2googee in Tomball loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!