2 Asian Inspireds from Resc

• keni 11 years ago
    Cantonese Bbq Pork

Chinese Style Brussel Sprouts

I served these together, and the dinner was great, but I got varied results from trying to follow the two recipes.

The sprouts were delicious, and I didn't do much different other than reduce the soy sauce(personal preference) and I tossed them with fresh lime juice and black pepper just before serving.

The pork was a different story. I reduced the sweetness by using just a bit of honey in place of the sugar, but, other than that, I used the marinade as directed.

I sliced the tenderloin into chops, rather than strips, but 20 minutes roasting at 445 degrees would have been WAY over cooked, in my opinion. After about 12 minutes, the pork was already drying out, some.

We don't like overly sweet, so I did a combo of a lil honey and sriracha sauce instead of the sugar water, for the basting, and I just couldn't let it cook anymore after adding it.

It never got that pretty "red" color that the picture has or what I think of when I've seen it served in restaurants.

It may have been my error, somehow, and I'm very open to answers. I admit, once again, it's been a rough couple months and my cooking skills may have suffered, but I just can't figure out where this one went wrong. :) Again, the end result was tasty, but nothing like the recipe appears to have intended.
    Flag
  • mommyluvs2cook 11 years ago said:
    I think your pork looks delicious, red or not! I totally saved the brussel sprouts, they sound awesome!!! Good posts Keni!
    Flag
  • keni 11 years ago said:
    Thanks, Luv! it was good just a lil over cooked and I needed the added heat/flavor.

The sprouts were tasty! :-)
    Flag
  • frankieanne 11 years ago said:
    I have a feeling that picture has some red food color added to it. I've seen that as an ingredient in some Asian recipes. I see I have that bookmarked, too, so thanks for spelling out what you did.
    Nice to see you, by the way. :)
    Flag
  • mrpiggy 11 years ago said:
    That sounds like a good dinner, Keni. I wish I had some. Love brussells
    Flag

Have a comment? Join this group first →