1/3 teaspoon

• shine 15 years ago
    okay guys... I'm stumped. I ran across a recipe recently that calls for 1/3 of a teaspoon... I'll be damned if I can find one. I would love to hear your recommendations! I'm not going to say who's recipe it is in, but I would love to try it.

Please help me ;-)
    Flag
  • pointsevenout 15 years ago said:
    Someone translated between metric and American measures. Back-translate the measure.
    OR, use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon. I don't think the measures are quite that critical in how the dish turns out overall. Just get close and you'll do fine.

I've seen several recipes in here with that particular problem. Also spec'ed out are things like 3 teaspoons. Why not just say 1 tablespoon. Or 4 tablespoons,l why not just say 1/4 cup. Or 1/2 pint, why not just say 1 cup. You get the drift. Then there is the decimal thing. Use 0.125 cups of xxx. Why not say 1 ounce or 2 tablespoons.

Pointsevenout quietly steps off the soapbox, folds it up, and walks....................................
    Flag
  • pat2me 15 years ago said:
    I love the ones that say a knob of butter or butter the size of an egg.........small egg, lrg. egg, X-tra lrg, Jumbo?

Shine.....I'd just go with points suggestion....perfectly logical way of doing it.
    Flag
  • shine 15 years ago said:
    Thanks guys... I think it would be a great idea to come out with measuring utensils that are just that... a knob, a splash, pinch, 1/3 teaspoons etc. I think I would make a fortune!

As far as this recipe is concerned, it's author, who shall remain nameless unless they so desire to divulge the brilliant/warped mind that they are, I consider to be a dear friend, who just loves quirky little things. I think they did it on purpose... I wouldn't be surprised ;-) should the author ever read this, I may not be available to continue this thread, as they also have a devious mind... love that!
    Flag
  • pleclare 15 years ago said:
    Shine,I have a set I got in a cooking store that has a pinch,dash and smidgeon!
    Flag
    I do too, Shine.......Ecko beat you to it.....sorry!
    Flag
  • divaliscious 15 years ago said:
    oh you guys are too funny! even a smidgeon??? who knew!
    Flag
    Oh well, back to the drawing board ;-) I'm still looking for that 1/3 teaspoon though... perhaps there's hope yet for a new marketing scheme LOL
    Flag
  • mbalmr 15 years ago said:
    Devious, brilliant, warped mind..............................sounds like you're describing me, Shine! I don't know what a third of a teaspoon is either. Did I make a typo? Oh wait! I only make dishes that send people to hospital with botulism. You wouldn't DARE try one of my dishes! You're too sophisticated a chef to try giblet stew!

My advice is to fill a teaspoon with whatever it is, then sneeze on it, and whatever blows away will leave you with 1/3 of a teaspoon.
    Flag
    Now that's what I'm talking about... why didn't I think of that? Balmy -- you rock! Now I feel free enough to go and try your recipe ;-) thanks!
    Flag
  • vikirose13 15 years ago said:
    Have you thought of doing a stand-up routine that focuses on food, recipes , etc.
    I want to try that suggestion with sneezing on the teaspoon of XX.
    Why not? We all like to spit on the birthday cake before we serve it to our friends.-Blow out the candles-
    This group has the best subjects and threads...;)) Viktoria
    Flag
  • divaliscious 15 years ago said:
    ciki - thats tooooo funny! I never thought about it.... now I want to serve my candles aside the cake...
    Flag
    LOL vikirose13! I think by the time I made it to stand up comedy, I'd have to use a Zimmer Frame to get on stage, but it WOULD be fun to combine mortuary humor with a few culinary anecdotes. I also still like my idea for the pizza parlor called RIP (Rest In Pizza,) with the salad bar in a casket, and "Crematory" emblazoned over the brick oven.
    Flag
    I love seeing how the thread weaves through such interesting topics as spit on birthday cake, a stiff on stage etc. LOL
    Flag
    You're absolutely right.............it's always an adventure!
    Flag
    Well, you know with all my personalities not quite coming together yet, I do tend to stray off topic from time to time.
    Flag
    OMG!!!!! Balmy... you guys are killing me! I got tears from laughing so hard.
    Flag
  • vikirose13 15 years ago said:
    Yeah, balmy! I like your brand of humor. Is it possible to buy a casket from a mortuary? One that is kind of small and simple? It would be fun to use your idea for a birthday party!
    Flag

Have a comment? Join this group first →