Stovetop Stuffed tomatoes with Crispy Bread CrumbsFrom coffeebean 8 years ago
- 1 cup coarse dry bread crumbs shopping list
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon salt shopping list
- Several grinds black pepper shopping list
- 3 large, fresh, round tomatoes shopping list
- ¼ cup olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze gently over the sink to remove the juicy seed pockets.
- Holding a tomato half in one hand, use the other hand to gently stuff one-sixth of the crumb mixture into the tomato. A nice thick layer of crumbs should coat the surface of each tomato half.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet large enough to hold all the tomatoes. When the oil is hot enough to sizzle a drop of water, quickly place the tomatoes, stuffed side down, into the oil.
- Cover the pan loosely and cook for about 3-5 mintues, until the crumbs are crisp and well browned and the tomatoes have softened somewhat.
- Watch carefully and reduce the heat if the tomatoes seem to be browning too rapidly.
- Serve hot or at room termperature.
- Source: “The Vegan Gourmet” by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay
The Cookcoffeebean Bern, CH
- Not added to any groups yet!