Sweet Italian Sausage CasseroleFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed ( Iused turkey sausage ) shopping list
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch) eggplant shopping list
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch) zucchini shopping list
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch) red or green bell pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves shopping list
- cayenne or black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 2 ounces grated mozzarella cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Put olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the sausage meat and cook for 10 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon.
- Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon; reserve.
- To the same pot, add the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion and garlic.
- Stirring occasionally, cook until softened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved sausage, the tomatoes, parsley, basil and cayenne.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into an 8 by 9-inch, oven-to-table baking dish to fit and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a 350°F preheated oven until the cheese melts, about 15 to 20 minutes.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating3 people
Low GI/Diabetic Diet35 members
Low Carb110 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together134 members
Family Favorites139 members
Casserole Comfort130 members
Delicious Foods39 members
Every Thing Italian47 members
Meat Glorious Meat62 members