Slow Cooker Tamale PieFrom modelsmom 6 years ago
- 1 lb lean ground beef shopping list
- 2 small onions, chopped shopping list
- 3T chile powder, mild to medium-hot, like ancho or pasilla shopping list
- 3/4 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- pinch ground cumin shopping list
- 1 (16oz) can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped shopping list
- 3-4 ears fresh corn off the cob, 2 cups frozen corn, or 1 can drained whole kernel corn shopping list
- 1 (14oz) can pitted ripe black olives, drained and coarsely chopped or halved shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or combination cheddar/Monterey jack, shredded shopping list
- 1-2T olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown the beef and onions until the meat is no longer pink and the onion is limp.
- Drain fat from the pan and sprinkle the meat with the chile powder.
- Cook for 1 minute, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, milk, egg, salt, and cumin until smooth.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn, and olives, then pour into the cooker and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours. (I don't see why cooking it on low for 7-8 hours wouldn't work.)
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top, drizzle with oil, cover, and continue to cook, on high for 10 more minutes, to melt the cheese.