Perfect Southern Fried ChickenFrom famina 4 years ago
- 1 cup shortnening or other high smoke point oil like peanut oil shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 whole chicken, cut into eight pieces shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Only add enough oil to come up the sides of the skillet about an inch.
- In one shallow dish, add buttermilk.
- In another shallow dish, add flour, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, if using.
- Dip chicken in buttermilk then dredge in flour.
- Fry chicken, without overcrowding the skillet, over medium-high heat until all the pieces are brown on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high and continue cooking until chicken is deep golden brown and juices run clear when pierced.
The Cookfamina Little Rock, AR
The Rating9 people
Cayenne ain't no option :). Fried chicken was one of the hardest things for me to get right when learning to cook. \0
hot_it_up in Columbiana loved it
High 5 :)donman in Hammond loved it
I learned long ago from my grandma how to cook chicken, she never cook fast, she would cook on medium to low fire under the skillit, plus she only used Crisco Shortings and no bottle type oil that she said was too oily!, she did almost all the things...morecuzpat in Sikeston loved it