Crabby Potato SoupFrom notyourmomma 9 years ago
- 1 generous swirl of olive oil around the bottom of the stock pot shopping list
- 3 slices thick cut butcher's bacon shopping list
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves of garlic, rough chop shopping list
- 3 stalks of celery chopped shopping list
- 3 carrots chopped shopping list
- 6 yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed (not tiny, you want to taste the potato later) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, your choice (I like cayenne in this) shopping list
- 4 cups of chicken broth shopping list
- 2 teaspoons of lobster base (I know, who has that in their pantry?) shopping list
- 1 cups of water shopping list
- 1 can of diced tomatoes and green chilies (I buy these by the case) shopping list
- 1 10 oz. can of refrigerated crab meat (don't get the expensive stuff) shopping list
- 1/8 cup of dry cocktail sherry shopping list
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Sweat the bacon in the oil, to release the bacon fat and keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook until nearly crisp, cooked but not burnt.
- Dump in chopped veggies, carrots, onions, potatoes, celery, garlic.
- Stir and coat with bacon fat and cook a few minutes to soften and season veggies.
- Add bay leaf, pepper, broth, water, lobster soup base, and tomatoes.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for at least 45 minutes.
- Add crab, sherry and cream stir gently and heat five to ten minutes on very low heat and serve.
- Best with a crusty bread and a bottle of wine.