Deep - Dish Apple PieFrom tuilelaith 6 years ago
- 4 pounds granny smith apples, peeled, quartered and cored shopping list
- Zest of 1 lemon shopping list
- Zest of 1 orange shopping list
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon to sprinkle on top shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- Perfect Piecrust (see post) shopping list
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each apple quarter in thirds crosswise and combine in a bowl with the zests, juices, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- Roll out half the pie dough (see right) and drape it over the pie pan to extend about 1/2 inch over the rim.
- Don't stretch the dough; if it's too small, just put it back on the board and re-roll it.
- Fill the pie with the apple mixture.
- Brush the edge of the bottom piecrust with the egg wash so the top crust will adhere.
- Top with the second crust and trim the edges to about 1 inch over the rim.
- Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust and crimp the two together with your fingers or a fork.
- Brush the entire top crust with the egg wash, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar and cut four or five slits.
- Place the pie on a sheet pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until the crust is browned and the juices begin to bubble out.
- Serve warm.
- Photograph by Quentin Bacon
The Cooktuilelaith Columbia, MO
The Rating7 people
Another one I'll be trying. Love the addition of the orange rind and juice.
Thanks for the post.
Valerievalinkenmore in Malott loved it
Very nicehungrybear in Miner loved it
So yummy!! high 5!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it