Goats Chees Butternut Squash and Thyme SouffleFrom freyae 9 years ago
- 1 butternut squash, cut in half then chunks (you will need 400g cooked) shopping list
- About 10 sprigs of Fresh thyme shopping list
- 200g Goats cheese (I left the rind on), which equates to about 2 small logs, depending on your personal taste shopping list
- 4 Tablespoons Plain flour shopping list
- 70g Butter shopping list
- 2 Cups milk shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 eggs Separated shopping list
- 20g breadcrumbs shopping list
- Pinch Dried thyme shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Place the unpeeled chunks of Squash on a roasting sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with Thyme leaves. Roast until a knife point pierces the flesh easily (about half an hour). Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, infuse the milk with a sprig of Thyme (bring up to boiling point, turn off and let steep).
- Turn the oven up to 220c.
- Butter a 2 Pint Souffle Dish (or 4 small Ramekins). Mix the Dried Thyme with the Breadcrumbs, and dust the buttered the Souffle Dish with the mixture. Discard any unstuck crumbs.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt together the butter and flour until it has formed a golden smooth paste. Pour over the infused milk and whisk like the fury until it thickens. Crumble over the Goats Cheese and remaining Thyme leaves (discarding stems). Taste for seasoning. Turn heat down to very low.
- Remove the papery skin from the Squash and weigh out 400g. You can serve the rest on the side. Mash in a bowl then stir into the cheese/Thyme sauce. It will turn a beautiful pale peach colour, flecked with tiny green dots of Thyme.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the Egg Yolks. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until softly peaking.
- Gently fold into the cheese sauce until thoroughly amalgamated, then pour into the prepared Ramekin(s).
- Bake for 15 minutes (small Ramekins) to 20 minutes (large dish).
- Serve immediately with a salad and the remaining roast squash.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookfreyae Essex, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!