Sourdough Stuffing with Sausage Apples and Golden RaisinsFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- • 1 1 1/2-pound loaf sourdough bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 13 cups) shopping list
- • 2 pounds bulk pork breakfast sausage shopping list
- • 2 large onions, chopped (about 4 generous cups) shopping list
- • 2 cups chopped celery (about 5 stalks) shopping list
- • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, divided shopping list
- • 6 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled granny smith apples (about 28 ounces) shopping list
- • 3/4 cup golden raisins (about 4 ounces) shopping list
- • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage shopping list
- • 2 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth shopping list
- • 3 large eggs shopping list
How to make it
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Spread bread cubes in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer bread to very large bowl.
- Sautésausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up into small pieces with back of fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl with bread cubes. Add onions and celery to drippings in skillet; sautéuntil golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread-sausage mixture (do not clean skillet).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add to bowl with bread mixture; mix in raisins.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons sage; stir 30 seconds. Add sage butter to bowl with bread-sausage mixture; toss to blend. Season stuffing with salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Generously butter 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk broth and eggs in medium bowl; add to stuffing and toss to mix. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake stuffing uncovered until top is golden and crisp in spots, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes and serve