Chocolate Beet CakeFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 can (15 oz.) whole or quartered beets, drained (reserve liquid) shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup juice from beets shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted shopping list
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange rack in the center of the oven.
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick foil.
- In a medium bowl, measure flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Puree drained beets in a food processor or heavy-duty blender. Scrape into a large bowl.
- Add sugar, vegetable oil, and 1/2 cup reserved beet juice to the pureed beets and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, blending until completely incorporated.
- Add flour mixture to the beet mixture. Using medium speed, mix until combined, at least two minutes, scraping down sides often.
- Add melted unsweetened chocolate and mix until combined.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Distribute chocolate chips evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Do not over-bake or it will become dry.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- This cake is moist and delicious without any topping.
- However, if you would like to dress it up, you may sift powdered sugar over the top or frost with your favorite icing.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating4 people
I love this recipe and why? Because I have baked it many times over. The one and only difference is that I grate the beets but I think I like your method better. This is very deserving of 5 FORKS :Dchacha in New York loved it
Ditto...it is an interesting recipe and one worth trying soon! Thanks for the great post. Five forks.mrsc543 in North Reading loved it
At first I thought, "You've got to be kidding me?!" Then I remembered why I enjoy GR so much. Chocolate & Beets are 2 of my favorite foods. To now have a recipe with both of them in it has a topless (no ceiling) Yum factor & I'm disappointed that all...morejolielives in The Catskill Plateau loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
Chocolate Dreams352 members
Sweet Suite158 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
Pass Down Recipes310 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members
Chocoholics Anonymous153 members
Secret Ingredients54 members
Unique And Unusual Recipes84 members