Zuppa Inglese Triditional Italian Rum Cake Diabetic Friendly and Gluten FreeFrom spinach1948 6 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 4 Layers ( 9-inch round ) sponge or for ( diabetics angel food cake, mix or homemade ) shopping list
- 1 package vanilla pudding mix or ( sugar free pudding mix for diabetics ) shopping list
- 1 tsp. Grated lemon peel shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream Or ( Diabetic Lite Cool Whip in place of cream ) shopping list
- ¼ cup sugar or ( sugar substitute for diabetics ) shopping list
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- ½ cup dark rum shopping list
- 1 cup strawberry jam or preserves for diabetic ( light or sugar free Smuckers ) shopping list
- maraschino cherries and candied fruits or (Whole strawberries for the Diabetic) shopping list
How to make it
- Bake layers by package directions, or about 25 minutes. Cool. Prepare pudding by package directions using 1 ½ cups of 1% milk. Add lemon peel. Cool with plastic wrap placed directly on surface. Combine heavy cream and sugar substitute; whip until stiff. Add vanilla, fold 1 cup into cooled pudding. Keep the rest well chilled. Place one cake layer on a large serving platter; sprinkle with about 2 Tbs. rum. Spread 2-3 Tbs. jam and one third of the pudding. Repeat with two more layers of cake, rum, jam, pudding. Put on the top layer. Sprinkle with the remaining rum; spread with jam. Frost sides of cake with whipped cream making pretty ruffled rim around the top continue to cover the top with the remaining whipped cream making ridged. Decorate the top with whole strawberries or Maraschino cherries and candied fruits. It is better chilled for 1 hour or can be servered at once.
- NOTE 1 As sugested by "Pettabear":This cake can also be converted to a Gluten free cake by using a Gluten free angel food cake mix.
- NOTE: 2 When my grandmother ( when she was alive ) made this the cake was soping that when you cut into it the Rum oozzed out of it. I am sure she used a shot of Rum per layer.
- After eating one piece you had drink for the night. Most of the guest stayed over night ot recover also a slight hang over.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating5 people
Super!victoriaregina in USA loved it
this cake can easily be converted to Gluten Free by using a GF Angel Food mix,,...thank you for a wonderful recipe... five forkspeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Hi, Ed! Thanks for the great post! Will try it soon...I'm always trying to cut sugar out of my diet, so this sounds like a great replacement. 5UP
Diannediannehocut in Little Rock loved it