Down South Old Fashioned Caramel Cake Dated 1947From chefmeow 5 years ago
- 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 cup butter softened shopping list
- 2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- caramel Frosting: shopping list
- 3 cups firmly packed brown sugar shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 4 tablespoons softened butter shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter 2 layer cake pans and line bottoms with waxed paper and butter paper.
- Sift flour with baking powder then set aside.
- In large mixing bowl cream butter until fluffy then gradually add sugar, beating until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time then beat in thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Stir well after each addition but do not over mix then stir in vanilla extract.
- Turn batter into prepared pans then bake 35 minutes.
- When cake is done cool 10 minutes in pans then turn out onto cake racks to cool completely.
- To make frosting combine brown sugar and milk in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil and cook stirring constantly to a soft ball stage then remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla then beat at high speed until thick enough to hold cake when spread.
- If frosting becomes too thick beat in a few drops of hot water.
- Spread caramel frosting over one layer of cake then top with other layer.
- Cover top and sides of the entire cake with remaining frosting.
People Who Like This Dish 19
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
The Rating10 people
YUM, Bookmarked & 5ved
Jo & Leejolielives in The Catskill Plateau loved it
U R on a 'Roll! BEEYOUTIFUL!!!:) HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
wow, that was a great year for some of us!!!midgelet in Eastern loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!