Beekeepers CabbageFrom hungrybear 5 years ago
- 1 red cabbage (1-1/2 to 2 lbs) shopping list
- 1 onion shopping list
- 1 parsnip shopping list
- 1 lg apple shopping list
- 1 tb honey shopping list
- 1/2 oz butter shopping list
- 2 tb fruit vinegar (or more) shopping list
- -- preferably raspberry shopping list
- caraway seeds shopping list
- 1/4 pt yoghurt or sour cream; optional shopping list
How to make it
- Cut cabbage into quarters. Remove and discard the tough central stalk. Shred the cabbage and put it into a large mixing bowl. Peel and finely chop the onion and add it to the cabbage. Cut the parsnip and apple into small pieces, peeling them first if you wish, and add them to the bowl.
- Drizzle on the honey. Add a good seasoning of salt and pepper and scant 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds. Sprinkle on the vinegar , use 3 tablespoons if the apple you are using is the dessert variety, just 2 tablespoons if it is a cooking apple. Mix everything together well using your hands -- a little messy, but spoons are not as effective -- then pile the mixture into a buttered casserole. Lay a sheet of thickly buttered greaseproof paper directly on top of the vegetables and cover the casserole with a well fitting lid to prevent drying out.
- Cook at 300 F (150 C) gas mark 2 for about 2-1/2 hours until the vegetables are beautifully tender, if possible stir the mixture once or twice as it cooks. Remove the greaseproof paper and check seasoning immediately before serving. Serve the vegetable mixture just as it is, or top at the last minute with 1/4 pint cold creamy yoghurt or soured cream into which you have stirred a few bruised and lightly crushed caraway seeds. Or hand round the bowl of flavoured cream separately, so that those who want it can help themselves.
The Cookhungrybear Miner, MO
The Rating7 people
A wonderful cabbage dish, I love it!! HIGH FIVE FORKS!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
I love cabbage! Thanks, and HIGH FIVE :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
Love fall cabbage receipes,THANKYOU!HIGH 5!lanabade in Goshen loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!