RICHS BAKESHOP YELLOW CAKEFrom midgelet 3 years ago
- shortening and flour for pans shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (if you can't find cake flour, use White Lily brand all-purpose flour) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon powdered milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 2/3 cup liquid milk (2 percent or whole) shopping list
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- RICH'S BAKESHOP ICING: shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup water (for dissolving milk powder) shopping list
- RICH'S coconut FILLING: shopping list
- 2 pounds frozen shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened --- shopping list
- recipe tested with unsweetened), divided shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
How to make it
- TO MAKE THE YELLOW CAKE LAYERS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake pans by lightly greasing with shortening, then dusting with flour.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Set aside. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir the powdered milk into the water and mix until dissolved.
- Combine the liquid milk with the powdered milk/water mixture and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add about half the flour mixture, beating until just incorporated, and then half the milk mixture, again beating until just incorporated.
- Repeat this step, adding the remaining flour with the remaining liquid, and beat until just smooth (about 1 minute).
- Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowls once or twice during the mixing.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- The cooking time will vary depending on how many cake pans you use and how full they are.
- The cake is done when it springs back when lightly pressed near the center with your finger.
- Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- TO MAKE ICING:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, combine the vegetable shortening, vanilla and salt and cream together until incorporated.
- Slowly add the confectioners' sugar until it forms a very thick consistency.
- Dissolve the powdered milk in the water and gradually add, just 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time, until the icing is a nice, spreadable consistency.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:
- Make filling: In a large bowl, thaw the frozen coconut.
- Set aside.
- Take 1 1/2 cups of the coconut and place in a smaller bowl.
- Combine the water and sugar and pour over this smaller bowl of coconut.
- This should be very moist but not soupy.
- Place one layer of the yellow cake on a cake plate and spread with icing.
- Spoon the moistened coconut over that.
- Place the next layer on top and spread with icing, spooning the moistened coconut over it.
- Continue this process until all your layers are filled; however, don't put the moist filling on the very top of the last layer, as it will be iced.
- Next, cover the entire cake with the icing.
- Make sure to use a thick coating of icing to eliminate any of the cake showing through.
- Take handfuls of the dry, thawed coconut and press the flakes into the icing.
- You may want to put a tray underneath to catch any coconut that falls as you do this.
- Continue pressing dry, flaky coconut all over the cake until it is completely covered.
- Chill for about 1 hour to set (it helps the coconut to stay), and then serve.
- Thawed frozen coconut really does make a difference for this easy cake.
- You can assemble the cake when the layers are still a little warm as the shortening-based frosting doesn't melt.
- While it's good after an hour, it's far better after a day.
People Who Like This Dish 15
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating9 people
can picture this now awsome cake frosting a plus high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Lovin thistuilelaith in Columbia loved it
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Sweet Tooth445 members
Piece Of Cake373 members
Southern Cooks552 members
Sweet Suite158 members
Dairy Preparations8 members
The Holiday Dessert Table123 members
Going Coconuts70 members
Oldies But Goodies112 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Cakes Of Any Type139 members