Martha Stewart Mile High Apple Pie- Today ShowFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- Pate Brisee ( pie pastry ) shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water shopping list
- Mile High Apple Pie shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling shopping list
- Deep-Dish Pate Brisee shopping list
- 5 1/2 pounds firm tart apples (about 14), such as Empire or Granny Smith shopping list
- juice of 2 lemons shopping list
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 1 large egg yolk shopping list
How to make it
- Pate Brisee (makes enough for 6 double-crust 4-inch pies):
- Pulse flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor until combined.
- Add butter, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds.
- With the machine running, add water in a slow, steady stream until mixture just begins to hold together.
- Shape dough into 2 disks.
- Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate 1 hour to 2 days (or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in refrigerator before using).
- Mile High Apple Pie:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the smaller piece of pate brisee into a 15-inch round about 1/8-inch thick, dusting surface with flour to prevent sticking, as needed.
- Brush off excess flour.
- Roll dough around rolling pin, and place over a deep-dish 9-inch pie plate.
- Line plate with dough, pressing it into the corners.
- Trim dough to within 1 inch of the pie plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate.
- Roll out remaining piece of dough into an 18-inch round.
- Transfer round to a baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
- Peel and core apples, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place slices in a large bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon; toss with apple slices.
- Remove remaining dough from refrigerator; place apple mixture into prepared pie plate, mounding it in a tall pile.
- Dot filling with butter.
- Place dough round over the apples.
- Tuck edge of top dough between edge of bottom dough and rim of pan.
- Using your fingers, gently press both layers of dough along the edge to seal, and crimp as desired.
- Using a paring knife, cut several vents in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk with 2 tablespoons water to make a glaze.
- Brush surface with egg glaze; sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet, this will catch any juices that may overflow during baking.
- Bake until crust is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let cool completely before serving.
People Who Like This Dish 5
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating6 people
thanks for the share!chichimonkeyface in Albany loved it
Delicous mile high pie! thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
You can't miss with this one. How can you celebrate Thanksgiving without apple pie. Not possible!tablescape in loved it