Elegant Sicilian Cassata CAKEFrom lanabade 4 years ago
- PREHEAT oven:350 degrees shopping list
- To MAKE Pan di Spagna(sponge cake): shopping list
- Have the following ingredients at room temperature,at least 1 hour before baking.: shopping list
- 6 eggs,lemon juice,orange zest,and sherry. shopping list
- INGREDIENTS: shopping list
- 1/2 cup white sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice; shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp.orange zest shopping list
- 2 tbsp. sherry. shopping list
- 1 cup cake flour. shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 lb. ricotta cheese shopping list
- 6 tbsp. rum shopping list
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar. shopping list
- 2 (1oz. ) squares unsweetened chocolate,grated. shopping list
- 1/4 cup candied cherries,chopped. shopping list
- 1/2 tsp.ground cinnamon. shopping list
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds shopping list
- To MAKE FROSTING: shopping list
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter.,room temp. shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar. shopping list
- 2 egg whites. shopping list
- 1 tsp, almond extract shopping list
- 1/4 cup rum shopping list
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar for dustig. shopping list
How to make it
- Separate 6 eggs and set the egg whites aside.
- Beat egg yolks till thick and lenon-colored.
- Beat in sugar,lemon juice,orange zest,sherry,or 1 tsp.almond extract.
- Beat until foamy.
- Sift flour 3 times and fold into egg egg yolks gently but thoroughly.
- beat egg whites till foamy,add salt,beat till stiff but not dry.
- Fold into yolks.
- Pour batter into one 9 inch ungreased springform pan.
- bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
- TEST by pressing lightly with fingertips,if cake springs back at once,it is done.
- Leave cake in the pan to cool. and invert on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool,slice it into 3 layers.
- Sprinkle layers with rum.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Crush ricotta very finely. with hands or a potatoe masher.
- Add 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar and beat till creamy about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 6 tblsp. rum,grated chocolate,chopped cherries,cinnamon,and toasted almonds.
- Spread the ricotta filling over the spomnge cake layers,using 1/2 inch of filling on each layer..
- Leave the top and sides of the cake plain.
- TO MAKE FROSTING:
- Cream butter with 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar.
- Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff and gradually beat into the egg whites the remaining 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar.
- Fold egg whites into the butter mixture and fold in1 tsp almond extract
- Cover sides and top of cake with this frosting evenly.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve it.
- So pretty and yummy!
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cooklanabade Goshen, NJ
The Rating11 people
Wow. Glad I decided to pop in for a minute and received your message. Thanks you so much for being so thoughtful This looks like a dream of a recipe. Can't wait to try it. A 5 from me.tablescape in loved it
Oh my goodness, I can almost smell the aroma and taste the flavours in this cake as I sit here. Lovely and very elegant and thank you Lana for sharing. HIGH 5.lor in Toronto loved it
Sounds wonderful Lana! 5 forksgourmetana in Aveiro loved it